Sunday 27 November 2011

Time to rest

Total miles this week 38 including an 8 mile threshold run (in the dark and through some wooded areas: I need to choose a better headlamp as part of the MdS kit preparations) and a steady 5 miles. I felt too tired to do a back-to-back session in this last of the 3 week cycle.

Sunday
Distance: 25 miles
Ascent: 1495 ft
Rucksack weight: 5kg
Calories burnt: 3493
Time: 5h11m

An out and part-way back route along the Dales Way to Grassington then I was picked up in Burnsall. Just before I finished I was zoned-out listening to some music and absolutely bounding along pretending I was playing some drumsticks (no one else was around): I think it was the Maxim chocolate and caramel bar I'd not long had.

I was absolutely buzzing and finished the last quarter mile in 7m30s pace! But as soon as I stopped I felt very sick, so that serves me right.

In the last 3 weeks I've done a back-to-back run/walk twice which has included a long run/walk of more than 20 miles: the longest run/walks for each of the last 3 weeks, with a weighted rucksack, have been 21, 22.5 and today's 25 miles.

I feel I've broken through another barrier but I'm really feeling it. The last week or two I've found myself sleeping a lot more and it's become a little bit more difficult to get out the door to do the long runs. From the research I've read on MdS preparation this reaction is perfectly normal: the body will adjust and allow for increased distances and time on the feet.

To be sure I'm going to take it easy for the next couple of weeks to repair and recover, particularly to give some time to a worrying knee grumble that started coming on a few weeks ago. Jim, my sports masseur, has found the quads muscles of the affected leg particularly tight. Tucking my foot under my behind and leaning right back flat on the bed (it's taken a while to be able to do this!) stretches them out and gives some temporary relief.

On the other side of that rest period the hard work will really have to start in earnest, as will some decision-making on kit and equipment.

The MdS is coming around a lot quicker than I expected. I'm looking forward to some serious Christmas food troughing to get prepared for it.