Sunday 1 January 2012

Getting serious now

Having maintained a good base now without injury (barring any worsening problems with my knee) the serious training starts.

A good start in the week up to New Year's Day (41 miles this week):

-  a couple of faster runs to keep the base speed maintained;

-  New Year's Eve: a 10 mile session of 5 minute run/5 minute walk with a very light 1kg rucksack;

- New Year's Day: after a late night, up early to drive to south of Dewsbury for the Long Distance Walker's Association's "New Hangover Hike 2012".

As a Challenge event this 20 miler was open to runners. I carried 5.7kg in the rucksack for the 1662 foot of ascent and covered the ground in under 4.5 hours, a steady pace. 2757 calories of Christmas excess disappeared, largely comprised of my mum-in-law's chocolate log (which I've been fueling myself with this week for this event). The terrain was tough under foot: I was slipping and sliding all over the place.

5 minutes before this
photo and the finish
I was pretty much dry!
I had been chasing along with a fellow runner for most of the route until the last 5 miles or so, by which time I started getting very tired as my legs were a little zapped. The other guy had a lighter rucksack on:  that's my excuse! Within half a mile of the finish he took the wrong turn so I sped up to catch him, thinking this was my opportunity to finally beat the guy.

We agreed the right turn over the canal was the right route and off we sped. At this point it absolutely bucketed down with a hard rain storm. Not long after this sudden burst of speed on my part I was devoid of energy to beat him so he got in a couple of minutes before me!